Bioenergy from Forest 2016 Topics
TOPIC 1: Biomass Policies, Markets and Sustainability
- Biomass strategies and policies: National, regional, local bioenergy and bioeconomy strategies strategies related to wood and forest energy; Forest biomass; Biomass utilisation concepts for bioenergy and biobased products; National Renewable Energy Action Plans; Integration of bioenergy with other renewable sources; Public perception and acceptance.
- Markets, Investments & Financing: Global bioenergy markets; Bioenergy commodities trading, contracting and long distance transport; Externalities assessment; Economic viability of bioenergy projects; Financial support schemes; Market stimulation policies.
- Resource efficient bioeconomy: Innovation, growth, job creation; Socio-economic opportunities, competition and risk mitigation of the increased use of biomass for food, feed, fibre, fuel, health, bio-materials and green chemistry.
- Environmental impacts of bioenergy: Indirect land use change (ILUC); Agricultural intensification; Assessment of GHG reduction and carbon capture; Estimated contribution to the mitigation of climate change; Agro-environmental assessments in temperate and tropical regions.
- Sustainability assessment and criteria: Life cycle analyses, sustainability schemes, certification, national and international standards related to sustainability; labelling for bioenergy from forest and bio-products; support programmes; scientific monitoring; Sustainable resource management.
TOPIC 2: Forest Biomass Resources and Production
- Biomass potentials and biomass mobilization: Assessments of forest biomass potentials and land availability at regional / national / international levels; Biomass mobilisation; Biomass logistics; Spatial modelling and remote sensing.
Biomass feedstock, residues and by-products: Supply of residues and by-products from forestry and forest industry; mobilisation, characterisation, harvest technologies, logistics and storage.
Short rotation forestry and short rotation coppice: Agricultural production of woody biomass: plant breeding, cultivation, characterisation, harvest technologies, logistics and storage.
- Forest Biomass Production: Final felling, thinning energy wood harvest technologies, mobile chippers, bailing tehnologies, transport technologies and logistics entrepreneurship and fuel storage.
Forest Fuel Production Technology and Economy: Logistics and production technologies of biomasses from forest; Business models, procurement and transport systems, quality and cost handling, energy efficiency and economy of bioenergy production chains, management and operational tools.
TOPIC 3: Processes for Solid Fuels from Forest Biomass
- Production and supply of solid biofuels:Technologies for solid biofuel production: chipping, pelletising, briquetting, etc.; Production, characterisation and combustion properties of solid forest biofuels from innovative feed stocks; Solid biofuel logistics and storage.
- Advanced solid biofuels:Thermal upgrading of solid biofuels: torrefaction, (hydrothermal) carbonisation, charcoal production, etc.
TOPIC 4: Biomass Combustion and Power
- Solid forest biomass combustion and boiler technologies and systems for industries:Technologies and systems for industries; Combustion and boiler performance; Industrial by-product properties.
- District heating:Technologies and systems for municipalities, bioenergy boiler systems connected with other renewables, implementation tools, legislation facts and specialties’ by countries; Fuel demands and boiler and biofuel certification (billets, fire wood, pellets, wood chips, bioliquers etc).
- House blocks, small houses, agriculture and Innovative concepts for stoves: Small boilers, firewood and pellet stoves and ovens; Low emission solution and reduction of emisssions; Technologies and systems for small houses.
- Power plants: Combined Heat and Power Production (CHP), co-firing, combustion and boiler systems and technologies, carbon dioxide capture; Technologies and systems for CHP production, market implementations; Co-combustion with peat.
- Small scale technologies and systems for CHP production: Technologies and systems for small scale CHP production; Market implementations.
- Micro-CHP, steam and stirling engines, organic rankine cycles: Technologies and systems for Micro-CHP production; Stirling engines for CHP production; Development of ORC technology
- Gasification for power, CHP and polygeneration: Technologies and systems for gasification; Gasification combined with engines, turbines and boilers.
TOPIC 5: Chemical Forest Biomass Conversion Products
- Synthesis gas production and biofuel production: Fundamental studies; Technology development; Gas cleaning and upgrading; By-product utilisation. Production of fuels (FT-diesel, aviation fuels, methane, etc.) and chemicals from syngas.
- Pyrolysis and other biomass liquefaction technologies: Production of liquid bioenergy carriers from solid biomass: Fundamentals and studies; Technology development; Process characterisation and modelling; Bio-crude-oil upgrading and utilisation (combustion tests, chemical extraction, gasification, etc.); By-product utilisation.
- Anaerobic digestion for biogas production: Characterisation and optimisation of anaerobic digestion; Plant and fermenter concepts; Anaerobic fermentation of innovative feedstocks; Biogas utilisation for power, CHP and poly-generation
- Production and supply of biomethane: Upgrading of methane rich gases (biologically and thermochemically produced) and biomethane grid injection.
- Oil-based biofuels: Innovative processes for the production of oil-based fuels (biodiesel, jet fuel, etc.) from oilseeds, algae, wastes, etc.
- Biorefineries: Integrated multi-product approaches; (Combined) production of fuels, chemicals and materials from biomass; Sugar fermentation to other chemicals than ethanol; Drop in fuels, bioplastics, hydrogen, etc.
- Bioethanol production and sugar release from lignocellulosic biomass: Lignocellulosic ethanol: Pre-treatment of lignocellulosic biomass, cellulose hydrolysis, C6 and C5 fermentation; Innovations in bioethanol production from starch / sugar plants.
TOPIC 6: Business Concepts and Demostration
- Forest Biomass utilisation for heating and cooling: Bio-heat integration into household heating; District heating; Heat and cool supply to industry; Recovery of process heat and waste heat.
- Biomass utilisation for power generation: Biomass use by utilities; CHP projects; Innovative business concepts such as virtual power plants pooling decentralised micro-CHP plants and stationary engines.
- Forest based Biofuels for transport: Liquid and gaseous biofuel utilisation in cars, heavy transport, aviation; Transportation fuel markets; Biofuel blending, distribution and logistics.
- Industrial biorefineries and bio-products: Industrial initiatives on biorefineries and utilisation of lignocellulosic biomass; Integrationinto existing industrial processes; (Combined) production of fuels, chemicals, materials, bioplastics, fertilizers, etc.